I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, August 20, 2004

How to draw Nina in meandering squirrelly steps


Purple Nina drawn in Oekaki



How's the what now? I just found out that you can watch a time-lapse movie of your Oekaki drawing online. It's great and dreadful at the same time--people can view how much wandering your modus operandi requires. Good humility and "get real" pill.

Shanesboard/Sketchbooksesssions Oekaki board can be found here. After the masterpiece you've wrought is done just point your cursor on these characters (question marks on some machines) on the upper lefthand corner. Thusly...






To view the above Nina drawing drawing movie click on the headline. Or you can click here.





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Speaking of Nina, what's the easiest way for someone in Canada to buy a copy of Paper Biscuit 2?

GC

10:22 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Travesty--I used a Wacom Cintiq. I had some proficiency with the Wacom tablet before and pretty much could draw whatever I wanted with it--and then the Cintiq came along and it just makes things easier. I should post an Oekaki drawing done on the tablet and I'll report how I did.

GC--Go visit http://www.stuartngbooks.com/sketchbooks.htm--Stuart has all of the books and I'm about to ship him some this week. If that doesn't work just email me at paperbiscuit@earthlink.net and I'll set you up.

Thanks guys.

9:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,
That is utterly fascinating to watch. Reminds me of that mustachioed guy on PBS back in the 70's who used to read a story to you while drawing a scene from said story. But your artwork is much much cooler, needless to say. I'll have to give Oekaki a try now, I just can't read the asian characters on my screen. But, I gotta say, I LOVE Paper Biscuit! Love me some Biscuit. Thank you for putting some hard earned time on these lovely little books. I don't have #2 yet, but I will. #'s 1 and 1.5 are fantastic. Thanks for your talents, man. Great stuff. Keep it up.

Ward at Primal Screen

12:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you guys notice the speed adjustment option at the bottom of the page where you can watch it in real-time? It's extremely cool to be able to look over Ronnie's proverbial shoulder while he's doing a sketch, and watch the process.

-Justin
aka baldpenguin

12:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cool. The speed adjustment is very nice.
-Karen

9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again! Thanks for the info on Stuart Ng books (i'm also picking up Fragments Intermezzo - if it's available).

Are there any new tee shirts this year?

GC

9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Ronnie-that is the coolest thing ever! I have NO idea what "oekaki"-sp?-!-is, but I want to get it! I guess I'll have to Google it, or do you write about using it elsewhere in your blog..? Must be a program like "Freehand", or-?

I just got Paper Biscuit 2, and I love it(no surprise there). So CA's loss is the Bay Area's gain, sigh. You are missed down here. I am enjoying myself hugely working from some very talented designers on some new things at your old(last) studio...but I miss seeing your boards in the hallway. : )

XOXO Jenny
(p.s.: pls say 'hi' to Lou & Ricky for me-tell 'em Jenny sent ya-Lou at least will remember me, I think.)

11:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home